Monday, May 26, 2014

An Order of the Heart


On this Memorial Day, America will turn their eyes to Andi Dorfman, the star of the 10th season of the greatest show on television, The Bachelorette. But before we get to Andi, let’s remember a few of the Bachelorettes who have come before her. Because as my grandpa always said, “If you don’t remember where you came from, make sure you come up with something good. Like Tupelo, Mississippi, or Ulan Bator, Mongolia. Chicks love that shit.”

Thanks, Pap Pap. My current Facebook profile says I was born in Wollongong, New South Whales, Australia. Ask me about wombats; I could go for days on those furry little dudes. And then we’ll make out.

Ali Fedotowsky

After self-eliminating from Jake’s season (smart move), Ali took on the role of Bachelorette. I don’t remember much from this season besides thinking Ali had great hair. She picked Roberto, and they dated for a couple years, but ultimately it didn’t last. RIP.

Ashley Hebert
It’s actually Ashley Rosenbaum now, since she and J.P. tied the knot a few years ago. He’s a great follow on twitter, actually, @JP_Rosenbaum. Ashley is probably still going through dental school, but she made some time to find love. Ashley’s season gave us possibly the best 10 minutes of reality television ever when Ben Flajnik professed his love for her and was summarily eliminated. Watch that link. It’s so good.

Emily Maynard

She had about as much brains as quart of motor oil and toted her young daughter around like a Tory Burch clutch. I have no time for her.

Desiree Hartsock

I had a huge crush on Des after Sean’s season of the Bachelor. She was tall, brunette, and looked great in a cocktail dress. Des had it all. We remember her mostly because of her crazy brother, hippie parents, and crushing sob session when Brooks took himself out of the running for her heart. But hey, Chris wasn’t such a bad consolation prize.

And now, to Andi!

Job: Assistant District Attorney

Andi likes fighting crime and working in the street. I like those things too, but if you replace fighting crime with sitting in a lawn chair extremely casually and working in the street with making different shapes using bottle caps from the empty Boston Lagers I’m housing.

Hails From: Atlanta, Georgia

Hotlanta is the home of CNN, Coca Cola, Time Warner, and the Chili’s in B Terminal of the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. When I think of all the skillet queso I’ve eaten there, I get that butterflies in your stomach feeling. But the boner kind.
 
Family: Alive

Her parents have been married for 30 years. I haven’t been alive for 30 years, but I hope to one day achieve that advanced age. I assume that at that time, I will learn many secrets, such as the meaning of life, and the reason airline peanuts are so hard to open.

Andi’s dad says the Bachelorette will be easier for him this time; this isn’t Juan Pablo. He wants Andi to be sure of which guy it’s going to be when she comes and introduces the guys to them. Her dad looks like he appreciates freedom and I would like to have a beer with him and talk about how much we like Kingsford Match Light Kingsford. That stuff is the best. After that, we can debate which of our favorite characteristics is most import: honor, courage, ability to slow-cook meats, or knowing which type of boat shoes to wear to a given social function.

Her sister is also very pretty, and if she is not occupied with a current lover, I know someone who has two thumbs pointing at himself who would appreciate an interview for that job. My other fingers are clenched together into a kind of fist, as is typical with that gesture.

Likes: Yellow sundresses, denim jackets, sequins, bookshelves, journeys, and rainbow mini-marshmallows. Bird Flu finds Andi’s smile infectious.

Dislikes: Foreigner football (soccer), opera singers (Sharleen excluded), Francophiles, osteoporosis, and those who threaten the sanctity of America’s borders.

  
One more thing before we conclude. I’ve always thought about how my Bachelor introduction would go, and I think I finally figured out what I’d do. So here goes:

I would confidently stride out onto the flagstone Bachelormansion patio in a black suit and solid purple tie (Go ‘Cats). I would bring a six-pack of miller high life, but one beer would be strangely missing. She asks me what happened to the last beer? I say the following:

“Each beer in this sixer of refreshing beverages represents a different pillar of my life. One is familythe people in my life who I love the most and love me in the same way.”

At this point I proceed to shotgun the beer.

“The second beer is for friends—the bros who stick by you even when you give a 3/10 your phone number. Three is fraternity. Four is freedom, and five is America.”

At this point I’ve shotgunned five beers.

Then, I tell her that one beer is still missing. The beer that represents my wife. After a prolonged “aaaawwweeeeee…,” I pull out a beer that’s been taped to the inside of my leg the whole time, and ask if she would do me the honor of shotgunning it to symbolize the start of our journey. She agrees, and after I teach her the proper method of opening the hole at the bottom using a key, your thumb, and slight pressure applied in a circular motion, she takes the sweet suds to the face.

When she’s done, she has a little foam in the corner of her mouth. I lean in and say, “You’ve still got a little left to finish.” She says, “Why don’t you take care of that for me?”

Pretty much at that point I’ve already won.

Stay tuned for the Episode 2 recap tomorrow. Follow me on Twitter @BroLovsBachelor.

No comments:

Post a Comment